Every patient has a unique lifestyle that requires a unique hearing solution. As part of your free consultation, you will receive a full audiological assessment (including a hearing test) that enables our team of audiologists and hearing instrument specialists to tailor a comprehensive hearing solution designed to fit your life. Making the change to better hearing is a big decision – all our patients are encouraged to bring a spouse, friend, or family member along to their appointments.
What goes on during a hearing assessment?
- Health History – We will go through your hearing health history with you so that we have a full picture of your past and of your current needs.
- Otoscopy – We will take a look inside your ear to ensure that they look healthy and are not blocked by wax.
- Once we are in the sound room (don’t worry it’s a big room), we will insert head phones into your ears.
- Then we will ask you to raise your hand when you hear tiny beeps. This is called a pure tone hearing test.
- We will ask you if the headphones are set at a comfortable volume level, then we will ask you to repeat words back to us. This tests your hearing discrimination capabilities.
- We hear in two different ways. Through air conduction, which is tested by pure tone testing, and through bone conduction. We test this by placing a device over your mastoid bone (the bone behind your ear) and asking you to listen for beeps again.
These are the elements of a standard hearing assessment. If further hearing testing is required, we will assess that once we have the results from these initial hearing tests.
Our hearing test procedure is non-invasive and gives us an in-depth assessment into how well your hearing is working.