June 4, 2020 - Update on COVID-19 - OPEN BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

Eliminating the Stigma

Home  /  Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids  /  Eliminating the Stigma

On October 31, 2016, Posted by , In Hearing Loss and Hearing Aids, With Comments Off on Eliminating the Stigma

According to the Canadian Hearing Society, 1 out of 4 Canadians suffer from hearing loss. Only 20% of those people actually seek professional help. When the other 80% are asked why they’re putting off get- ting hearing aids, some common responses are “I’m not old enough for hearing aids” or “I hear well enough for my age.” Many people often avoid getting hearing aids because they are afraid that they will be perceived as old.

Hearing aid technology has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 10 years. They used to be seen as a bulky piece of machinery behind your ear that emits a loud squawk that everyone can hear. That’s not the case today. Hearing aids have become extremely discreet and provide the wearer with a more natural listening experience with no more squeaks.

When it comes to hearing loss, age is irrelevant. Although the aging population is more likely to deal with hearing loss, it can occur at any age.

Hearing loss, when left untreated makes people appear older than they actually are. People tend to notice hearing loss more than they will notice hearing aids. When someone continually asks for repetition or misunderstands conversation and replies out of context, others may attribute the miscommunication to old age, or to cognitive decline rather than hearing loss.Approximately 4 in 1000 Canadian babies are born with some degree of hearing loss or will develop early progressive childhood hearing loss. (Ontario Ministry of Children and Youth Services, 2007).

Treating hearing loss is very important. Not only do hearing aids help people communicate more effectively, they also help keep the brain healthy. Adults with an untreated mild hearing loss are 2x more likely to develop dementia later in life. (Starkey Canada, 2016)

Hearing aids are not what they used to be – They are infinitely better.  Remember, when you seek help with your hearing loss you can greatly improve not only your communication, but your life. Imagine hearing your friends and loved ones again clearly and effortlessly.

If you suspect you or someone you love is experiencing hearing loss, call Meridian Hearing at 519-657 2094 to schedule a complimentary hearing exam.

We can help you just like we have helped thousands of others with a hearing care professional. As always, the staff at Meridian would be happy to help you!